Week 2 – Falafels

For this week’s Genius Hour, I decided to start off this challenge by making falafels. For those of you who don’t know, Falafels are deep-fried balls or patties made from chickpeas. Now, let me tag you along on the process.

First, I measured 2 cups of chickpeas and let them soak in water for what was supposed to be 5-6 hours. But 4 hours was as long as I could wait.

Then, I blended the chickpeas with a little bit of water.

After it was all blended into what it looks like in the photo, it was then time to add some spices. I added a spoon and half of salt, half a spoonful of baking powder, and half a spoonful of cumin. Then, I mixed it all together.

Next, I used the Falafel scoop tool to create the shape of the falafel.

Then deep fried it until it was ready to be taken out.

All done! On the sides, I cut up lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, and sliced lemon. I also made yogurt sauce next to the Falafels.

The falafels had been a little more “crunchy” than usual. At first, I had predicted that it was because I had left it frying for too long, I tried taking them out a bit sooner but that didn’t make a difference. I now think that it was because I only left it in the water for only 4 hours. Next time, I will make sure to give it the time it needs. Personally, I don’t mind the crunch though. Overall, I would say that this was a success!

2 thoughts on “Week 2 – Falafels

1. WOW! This was definitely a succcess. I’ve never had a falafel before but, after looking at the ones you made, I now want to try them even more than before! I was just wondering…why did you choose falafels instead of a different type of food?