Week 6 – Nanaimo bars (Canada)

This week I’m making Nanaimo bars from Canada using Tasty’s recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eA48vrLFkQ&list=WL&index=2. Nanaimo bars require no baking and consists of three layers: a base made of wafer, nuts, and coconut; a middle layer of custard icing; and a top layer of chocolate ganache.

This is the process.

Bottom layer:

Middle layer:

Top layer:

I have actually never heard or tried these bars even though they are really popular in Canada. This took a while to put together all the layers and then needed to be refrigerated for 3 hours. I loved how this wasn’t too sweet, the middle coffee-tasting layer and the sweet chocolate layer really balanced it all out. This was for sure a success, but for next time I would like to try a more custered-like middle layer. I didn’t notice untill after I was done that the recipe was called “Mocha Nanaimo Bars” so it’s supposed to have a coffee flavour. I thought that all Nanaimo bars were supposed to have a coffee taste. Overall, I would rate this a 7/10!

See you next week with another country’s national dessert.

One thought on “Week 6 – Nanaimo bars (Canada)

1. I like the traditional middle layer, but I’m often disappointed when I buy them in stores or cafes – my recipe is the best!