Week 7 – Croissants

This week I baked chocolate-filled croissants! So let me take u along on the process.

The dough consists of water, bread yeast, sugar, white vinegar, vegetable oil, and Vanilla. Then mix it all well. Next add flour, and salt. Then again mix it very well until the dough feels soft.

I cut the dough into 16 pieces, then let it brew for 10 minutes.

Then I took each piece of dough and rolled it out.

Next, I stacked them all on top of each other and spread some butter on the top 2 layers. I had trouble with this part because I didn’t know I needed to add butter until after I stacked them all, the dough tucked together and it was hard to get the butter in between. But I still managed to do it.

Afterwards, I rolled it all again and cut it into pizza-like pieces. Then, a small cut in the middle of each piece.

I added some Nutella filling. Here I wasn’t sure what the shorter cuts were for. But since the recipe used chocolate chips, I can infer that the cut was to hold the chocolate chips as she rolled it up.

I covered them up and let them brew for an hour a half.

Subsequently, I polished the croissants with an egg, milk, and vinegar mixed together for an appetizing golden colour. I also sprinkled some sesame on top. Then put them into the oven.

All done! Judging based on looks, these were great! I was very happy with the shape and overall just the way they looked. Then, judging based on the way they tasted is a slightly different story. As you can tell by the image above, the croissants look slightly burnt on top, but not baked at the bottom. The video said they needed to be in the oven for 20 minutes at 230 degrees. After 20 minutes, they still pretty much looked like dough with no added colour. I increased the temperature to 350 degrees and left them for a bit longer until they looked better, and took them out. They were not fully baked, I put them back in, and they still weren’t fully baked. Next time I would try and put them in for a lot longer with a higher temperature. I wasn’t very surprised by the long amount of time these took to make, but I was by the amount of time it took for them to bake. Overall, I would rate these a 5/10. There is definitely room for improvement, and I would definitely give this another try.

One thought on “Week 7 – Croissants